“Suit up!” If you have ever seen an episode of “How I Met Your Mother,” there is an excellent chance you have heard this memorable Barney Stinson catchphrase. He often uses this saying to encourage his friend Ted to trade in his normal and dreary attire for more stylish and eye-catching men’s suits.
As enticing as this catchphrase is, there are very few episodes where Ted is actually seen in a suit. While this may be because Ted enjoys his casual clothing, you have to wonder: maybe he just doesn’t know how to rock a suit. Some men, after all, aren’t as confident or fashion savvy as Barney. So, to help the Ted’s of this world out, today we’re going to talk about rocking a navy blue suit.
As surprising as it may be, many men avoid owning navy men’s suits because they don’t know how to wear them. They pair the suits with the wrong shirts and men’s ties, and when the results are a disastrous, they give up instead of attempting to learn how to choose the correct colours and patterns.
If you think you don’t have the necessary skills to pull off a navy suit, think again. With a little help, you can learn how to look sensational.
Choosing Sharp Shirts and Ties For Your Navy Blue Men’s Suits
Selecting the right shirt and tie for your navy suits doesn’t have to be as difficult as you might think. With just a few tips, you can easily find a shirt and tie that compliments your suit and helps you stand out from the crowd.
- Take a good look at your suit. While it may seem like your suit is simply a navy colour, upon closer inspection you will notice there are many different colours and shades that make up the suit. You may notice fine lines of maroon, teal, or grey, especially if you have chosen a sleek pinstripe patterned suit.
- Once you have determined the different colours and shades in your suit, pick one you like. Finding shirts and ties with this same colour is an easy way to compliment your suit without appearing too boring or monotonous.
- If you want to stand out, be bold in your colour choices. Pink ties and shirts look fabulous with navy suits, as do purple and silver. Remember, however, that navy is a dark suit colour. This means your men’s ties and shirts should be lighter in colour than the suit itself if you want to appear professional or formal.
- Patterns can enhance the appearance of your suit, but if you are just beginning to wear suits, you should be careful which patterns you combine. Take for instance, stripes. If you choose a solid navy suit, the general rule of thumb is that you can wear both striped men’s ties and striped shirts, as long as the stripes on your shirts and ties are different sizes. It is a little bold to combine both striped shirts and ties with a pinstripe suit, however. Attempting to match all three similar patterns is generally not a winning combination, and should only be done by those who really know what they are doing.
- If matching ties and shirts with navy suits causes you too much anxiety, stick to the basics. Every man with a navy suit should have a few solid white, light grey, and pale blue dress shirts in his closet. These shirts will easily match most ties and will offer a crisp, classic, and dapper look. If you choose these coloured shirts, try to opt for ties that are bold in colour or have patterns. This will enhance your look and help you stand out from the crowd.
Many men don’t understand how to rock navy men’s suits. With these tips, though, you will no longer have to fear combining the wrong shirts and men’s ties, and you will be able to dress to impress in a polished and sleek navy suit.