Chivalry…Is it a thing of the past or something that all women are looking for?
If you listen to today’s women and their comments about the men in their lives, you’ll find that one of the complaints they have is a lack of chivalry in today’s man. Although some men see chivalry as being weak, others have never actually been taught what it is to be a true gentleman in today’s modern world. Today’s woman is more powerful, more career oriented, and more success driven than ever. This can be both intimidating and confusing. Rest assured gentlemen, although the lady you have your eye on may be climbing the corporate ladder, she still wants you to be her prince charming of sorts.
Here’s the keys to being a gentleman in 2012
- Open the door – Always. This should not be reserved for times when you’re wearing your favourite men’s suit and the two of you are out for a formal evening.
- Allowing her to choose – Whether it’s the restaurant, the movie, or the bottle of wine, it’s always polite to allow your lady to choose. A woman wants to be preferred and feel like she is favoured. Ask her opinion and allow her to make decisions.
- Offer your coat and remind her to bring hers along – Women want to know they are being thought of. Pay attention to her needs. Is she cold or is it raining? Offer her your men’s suit jacket to keep her warm. She’ll also find this to be incredibly romantic. Think of her before stepping out for the evening as well. Are the two of you stepping out to a movie where it may be chilly? Remind her to bring her sweater. Will you be doing quite a bit of walking? Let her know she should wear comfortable shoes. You’ll be surprised how this small thoughtful act will make her feel secure.
- Dress your best – Believe it or not, your men’s suit collection shouldn’t be reserved only for the office. She’ll feel extra special when you make it a point to dress your best whenever the two of you are together. Always go the extra mile. If jeans are acceptable, go ahead and wear casual trousers or chinos. It’s better to be the best dressed man in the place than to be the “most casual.”
- Thank her – Don’t underestimate the power of gratitude. Thank her for everything, from accompanying you for the evening to a wonderful phone conversation. This shows that you are polite as well as thoughtful. These days, life is so fast paced, and people forget to be thankful.
This list can either be a rule refresher or could possibly bring a few new tips. Rest assured, chivalry shouldn’t be dead. Take the time to develop these characteristics and practice them with your girl. She may not openly request a prince charming, but being more of a gentleman is always the right choice.