So, you finally managed to sweep her off her feet. You’ve even been able to get on the good side of her best girlfriends. While you may think you can now breathe a sigh of relief, you aren’t done yet. You still have to meet her parents.
Meeting the parents for the first time can be nerve-racking and exciting, but with the following tips, you don’t have to worry. You can go in prepared for almost anything.
Tips for Meeting Her Parents
While you may not be ready to don men’s wedding suits just yet, meeting her parents is a critical first step in your developing relationship, and it’s important you do it right.
- Gather Information- You wouldn’t go into a job interview without some basic information about the company you were hoping to work for, would you? You need to have the same attitude when meeting her parents. The more info you can obtain beforehand, the better off you will be. Talk to your girlfriend about her parent and her family. Are her parents still together? If they aren’t, have they remarried? Do they get along? Are they serious or do they appreciate a good (clean) joke? These questions will not only show her how much you care about making a good impression, but can prevent you from sticking your foot in your mouth.
- Get in Good With Her Mom- A mother is a special kind of person, and she can become your best ally or your worst enemy. While you don’t want to go overboard, pay special attention to her mother and try to get along with her. She will be the one inviting you over for dinner, sticking up for you when your girlfriend’s father is worried you don’t measure up, and reminding your girlfriend of all the great things you have done when she runs back home after you two have a fight.
- What to Bring- Most of the time, you will meet her parents in a relaxed setting, like dinner. If you are invited to her parent’s home, it’s proper to bring a gift. Make sure to ask your girlfriend for ideas and advice, though. While showing up at the door in men’s suits with a bouquet of flowers or a bottle of wine may be fine, it’s best to get the approval of your girl.
- What to Wear- Making a great first impression is essential, so don’t show up in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Consider the location when you are choosing between men’s clothing, suits, and shirts. Chinos and a polo shirt may be nice enough for a home-cooked meal, but if her parents are meeting you at a five-star restaurant, you are going to need to wear suits for men.
- What to Say- If you have any small-talk skills, now is the time to take them out and use them. It can be easy to run out of conversation topics during a parental meeting, especially if you don’t normally feel comfortable with new people right away. Take this time to ask about her father’s and mother’s interests (remember the gathering information tip from before?) and make sure the conversation is a two-way street. In other words, don’t do all the talking, but don’t sit there like a bump on a log either.
Meeting your girlfriend’s parents for the first time can be nerve-wracking, but it doesn’t have to be. You can prepare yourself by following these simple tips so you know what to say, what to wear, and what information you need to obtain beforehand.